Perfect for when your girlfriend’s cool hipster sister comes round for brunch.
There is a bit of an obsession with eggs and avocados in my house. As I am sure there is in most houses in the country at the moment. So brining the two together in beautiful harmony only ever made total sense. I love the way this looks on the plate and it’s dead simple to create. One lesson to heed (that I didn’t first time round) is to make sure that your avocados are big enough to hold your eggs otherwise you’ll end up with a baking tray covered in egg whites or even worse a broken yolk.
- 2 avocados, halved
- 4 fresh eggs
- A pinch of smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat an oven to gas mark 6.
- Scoop out most of the avocado flesh allowing enough room for a full egg to sit in the newly created hole.
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each half so that it lies flat on a baking tray flesh side up and doesn’t roll around in the oven.
- Pop each avocado half into a little foil nest and crack the eggs in.
- Sprinkle paprika, salt & pepper over each egg and pop them into the oven for 20-30 mins (checking regularly to make sure you get to the desired yolk consistency.
- Serve up immediately, I love them with fresh salsa (recipe here) and slices of really seedy toast.
- You’ll feel like you’re sitting outside a vegetarian restaurant in Soho next to a guy with a man-bun and oversized glasses in no time.