A simple and sweet way to do something a little bit special for desert.
Perfect for this time of year.
These can be a little bit fiddly at first but after the first one or two have gone horribly wrong you can get the hang of it pretty quickly and they are wonderfully simple to assemble.
Cooking with Manuela explains how to make them really well in this video.
- 1 apple, thinly sliced into wafer thin wedges
- A splash of lemon juice
- a teaspoon of rhubarb jam, strawberry works great too.
- A sheet of shortcuts pastry
- Start off by microwaving the apple slices in a bowl of water with a splash of lemon juice. 2 mins should make them malleable so that you can roll them without them splitting.
- Next mix the jam with a splash of water to loosen to a paste like consistency.
- Cut the pastry into strips and line up the apple slices over lapping and with the top poking out of one side of the pastry and leaving room at the bottom to fold over to seal the bottom half of each wedge in.
- Paint over a good smear of the jam.
- Fold the pastry over the bottom half of the apple slices to leave the round edges poking out.
- Roll the pastry to form a coil, at this point it should begin to resemble a rose.
- Pop the roses into a cupcake dish and bake on high for 20 mins or until the pastry turns golden brown.