This one is a proper family favourite, inspired by a trip to California where we were lucky enough to tuck into the real deal. I have to admit though; for a gringo this recipe gets pretty close.
Especially when smothered in lots and lots of hot sauce.
Cooking time: prep 10 mins, cooking 40 mins, (total 50 mins).
To wash up: 1 chopping board, 1 knife, 1 roasting tin & 1 large pan.
For the tots
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 glug of olive oil
For the shrimp
- 200g fresh prawns
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 chillies, thinly sliced
- 8 -12 flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp guacamole, recipe (here)
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Handful of torn coriander
- Bottle of hot sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 (200’C).
- Toss the diced sweet potato in the dried spices and oil. Pop them into the oven for 30 mins.
- While the potatoes are roasting, make the guacamole, chop the tomatoes and tear the coriander.
- Once the potatoes are almost ready, pop the tortillas in the warm oven to warm through for 2 – 3 mins.
- Fry the shrimp on high with the lime juice and chillies for 2-3 mins until cooked through.
- Serve up as quickly as possible with lots of hot sauce and a cold beer.