A firm family favourite, this recipe works great with broccoli, spinach, kale or any hearty green that can stand up to the creamy cheesy deliciousness that is this sauce.
Goes great with crab meat too.
Cooking time: 5 mins prep, 25 – 30 mins cooking, (30 – 35 mins total).
To wash up: 1 large bowl, 2 pans, 1 large oven dish.
- 1 head of broccoli
- Half a bag of macaroni
- A fist full of butter
- A few pinches of salt
- 1 tbsp of plain flour
- 1 pint(ish) of milk
- 1 tsp of English mustard
- An inhumane amount of cheddar, grated.
- 1 healthy sprinkling of breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7 (220’C).
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave, 5 mins on high in a large covered bowl with some butter and a pinch of salt, set aside.
- Get the pasta on to cook in a large pan of salted boiling water.
- Add a lump of butter to a pan to melt, add in the flour and stir well until a dough forms, pour in a little milk at a time and keep stirring until a thin sauce forms (5 – 10 mins).
- Remove from the heat, add in the mustard and most of the cheese and stir well until it starts to thicken a little.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli, mix well with the sauce and pour into a large oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese, breadcrumbs and pop in the oven for 10 – 15 mins, or until golden, crispy and bubbling.
- Serve up with warm crusty bread and get stuck in.