This recipe took a while to get right, I tried baking them and steaming them until I eventually accepted that everything tastes better fried. After all of that, the final result is one that I am really proud of. It’s fantastically simple (only 5 ingredients) and tastes great every time. These bad boys make a great (if not slightly unhealthy) breakfast, they go great with a cup of tea in the afternoon and also work well as an after dinner treat.
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- A few big dollops of Nutella
- 1 sheet of ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- A few glugs of oil
- Icing sugar
- Start off by cutting the pastry into small circles, the top of a pint glass work swell to cut around.
- On each circle add a splat of Nutella and a few banana slices and fold over to form a mini calzone and crimp around the edge to seal all the filling inside.
- Heat a good amount of oil in a wide flat pan and get it nice and hot.
- Drop in the pastries one at a time until and fry until golden brown on each side (should only take a few minutes for each).
- Turn them out onto a piece of kitchen roll to soak up the excess oil and sprinkle over some icing sugar to serve.