This is a personal favourite, it does a great job of taking pretty budget ingredients (courgettes and rice) and transforms them into something really delicious, just with the magic of an oven and a little honey and thyme.
Ain’t life grand?
Cooking time: 10 mins prep, 20 mins cooking, (30 mins total).
To wash up: 1 mixing bowl, 1 microwavable bowl, 1 knife and board, 1 baking tray.
- 4 fresh courgettes
- 1 big blob of honey
- 2 tbsp of paprika
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
- 2 tbsp of butter, melted (20s in microwave)
- Salt to taste
- 1 handful of fresh thyme, torn
- 2 mugs of rice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp of fresh yogurt
- 1 squirt of hot sauce
- 1 handful of fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful of fresh feta
- Start off by pre-heating the oven to gas mark 6 (200’c).
- Next up, halve each courgette length ways, so that both halves can lie flat on a baking tray and score zig zag cuts through the flesh of each without piercing the skin.
- Mix the honey, paprika, oil and butter in a bowl until smooth.
- Rub the mixture into the flesh of each courgette until all are evenly covered.
- Sprinkle over the salt and half of the thyme before popping on a foil covered tray and into the pre-heated oven for 15-20 mins.
- While it’s cooking pop the rice in a microwavable dish with 4 mugs of water and the coconut oil. Cover and cook on high for 11 minutes.
- Next mix the yogurt and hot sauce to a desired consistency.
- Once the courgettes are cooked and falling away from their skin, top with chopped tomatoes, feta and the rest of the thyme before splattering with the yogurt.
- Serve on top of a mound of rice and wash down with a cold beer.